Ten races are on tap for the 2011 season of Dodge Viper Cup series, kicking off May 13-15 in Sebring, Fla.
There will be a few changes for the 2011 season – all good. For starters, Dodge Motorsports has reduced entry fees from $1400 to $800 per race. Post-race payouts will now be distributed to the top 10 drivers in each race (up from 5 in 2010) with prizes ranging from $5000 going to first place ($4000 cash plus $1000 in a Mopar voucher) to $300 for 10th place ($100 cash and $200 Mopar voucher).
The series celebrity driver program will return for 2011, with as many as two celebrity drivers invited to participate each race weekend. Also returning will be the Dodge Motorsports charity payout program that donated nearly $50,000 to various charities during the series in 2010.
Each of the race weekends will run in conjunction with the North American Road Racing Association/Viper Days events to make up the 2011 schedule:
- Jan. 12-16 at Sebring International Raceway, Sebring, Fla.
- Feb. 25-27 at Road Atlanta, Braselton, Ga.
- March 25-27 at Chuckwalla Valley Raceway, Desert Center, Calif.
- April – TBD
- May 13-15 at Sebring International Raceway, Sebring, Fla. (RACE)
- June 10-12 at New Jersey Motorsports Park, Millville, N.J. (RACE)
- July 8-10 at Virginia International Raceway, Alton, Va. (RACE)
- Aug. 5-7at Motorsports Park Hastings, Hastings, Neb.
- Sept. 2-4 at Texas World Speedway, College Station, Texas (RACE)
- Sept. 30-Oct. 2 at Miller Motorsports Park, Tooele, Utah
- Oct. 21-23 at Daytona International Speedway, Daytona, Fla. (RACE)
"The first season of Dodge Viper Cup series was simply awesome and a great learning experience," said Dodge Car Brand President/CEO Ralph Gilles, who, even with his intense day-to-day schedule, found the time to compete in a few races last year as a guest driver.
In 2010, Ryan Schimsk of Austin, Texas captured the inaugural Dodge Viper Cup series championship by virtue of his five race wins and strong finishes in the other five races of no worse than fourth. Series regulars Ben Keating (Victoria, Texas) and Keith Verges (Dallas) finished second and third, respectively.
For the full 2010 Dodge Viper Cup Series standings, click here.
Race replays from the 2010 season of Dodge Viper Cup series can be seen at the Viper HQ YouTube Channel.
Finally, you can check out the 2011 racing schedule and NARRA Viper Days events at the NARRA site.
If you haven't had the chance to race in or watch a Dodge Viper Cup race, below is a flashback to last year, when Road & Track's Shaun Bailey took a spin in a Dodge Viper ACR-X.
Of course, you know by now, that the Dodge Viper will be coming back.