Vehicles and the various systems within them are pretty complex.
Thousands of parts, multiple tiers of suppliers, several stages in the manufacturing and assembly process, touched by human and robotic hands.
So when Chrysler Group and its brands launched 16 new or significantly refreshed vehicles from May 2010 through early 2011, you might have expected a few hiccups along the way.
Many automakers do experience a temporary slip in quality rankings when they launch a new vehicle with lots of new content. However, Chrysler Group launched an unprecedented number of new and significantly updated vehicles, and improved our reliability according to influential quality surveys.
As one example of proof in how Chrysler's reliability and quality have improved, see a U.S.A. Today story about how Chrysler Group fared in a recent reliablilty survey.
Nearly every one of the "Sweet 16" below have won some type of quality- or product-related award. With the list below, we name just an example or two (or three) of the pertinent awards. (Note: Each of the below are 2011 model year vehicles, except the 2012 Fiat 500.)
- 200: 2011 Vehicle Engineering Team Award for its interior (Society of Plastics Engineers)
- 300: Finalist for Best New Car of 2011 (About.com); Domestic Car of the Year (2011 Esquire Car Awards)
- Town & Country: AutoPacific Vehicle Satisfaction Awards
- Grand Cherokee: Best Performer - Interior Sound Level (Car and Driver); Truck of the Year (Detroit News); AutoPacific Vehicle Satisfaction Awards
- Wrangler: Mid-Size SUV of Texas (Texas Auto Writers Association); Best Resale Value Top 10 (Kelley Blue Book)
- Avenger: 2011 Vehicle Engineering Team Award for its interior (Society of Plastics Engineers)
- Challenger: Ranks Highest in Initial Quality/Mid-Size Sporty Car Segment (J.D. Power and Associates/2011 U.S. IQS)
- Charger: Ward's 10 Best Interiors Awards (Ward's AutoWorld); Globe's Top Drives for 2011 (Boston Globe)
- Durango: Finalist/Best New SUV/2011 Readers' Choice Awards (About.com); North America Truck of the Year Finalist (North America International Auto Show)
- Grand Caravan: Best Buy (Consumer's Digest)
- Journey: 10 Most Improved Vehicles of 2011 (Autos on MSNBC.com)
Ram Truck Brand
- Heavy Duty Chassis Cabs
- Fiat 500: Best New Design and Best Value (Texas Auto Writers Association); Best Car 2011 - GQ Best Stuff 2010 (GC Magazine); Best Buy/Subcompact (Consumer's Digest)
Image: The 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee is the most-awarded SUV in history.