As much of the country has Monday off for the Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. federal holiday, many Chrysler Group volunteers start a week's worth of community efforts.
More than 150 company employees are expected to embark on the fourth annual MLK Week of Service, intended to benefit residents and strengthen partnerships with the United Way of Southeastern Michigan.
“The aim is to make the holiday a time when people of all ages and backgrounds come together to improve lives, bridge social barriers and move the nation closer to the ‘beloved community’ that King envisioned," said Chrysler Group Manager, Civic & Community Relations Daphne Harris.
The week's community service activities for Chrysler Group volunteers include:
- Monday: Walter White Community Center Early Learning Community Hub (River Rouge) – building cleanup and beautification, including mural painting.
- Tuesday: Vista Maria (Dearborn Heights) – campus beautification efforts.
- Wednesday: Fish and Loaves Community Food Pantry (Taylor) – sorting and boxing perishable food; and assisting clients with food selection.
- Thursday: Hope Center in Macomb (Fraser) – stocking the food pantry; and assisting clients with checkout.
- Friday: Gleaners Community Food Bank of Southeastern Michigan (Pontiac) – packing food boxes for those in need.
Additionally, Chrysler Group Chairman & CEO Sergio Marchionne is chairing the United Way of Southeastern Michigan 2012 campaign. As campaign chair, Marchionne is the face and voice of fundraising and education efforts and recruit other leaders within southeast Michigan to serve as members of his campaign cabinet. Marchionne also works to promote the growth and impact of the campaign among businesses and individuals.
In 2011, Chrysler Group volunteers packed more than 17,000 pounds of grapefruit at Forgotten Harvest in Detroit as part of the company’s Week of Service commemorating the life and legacy of Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. More than 150 employees are expected to participate in similar activities, beginning Jan. 16, 2012, the federal holiday honoring Dr. King’s birthday.